Monday, July 18, 2011

Bouncing Basket ball (class 1 week 3)

hey there,

YAY! 3 weeks of Class one done so i am though 1/4th of my class 1 :D 1/20th of my course is done :P
ok the reason im stuck with numbers in my head is cause of my assignment... bouncing balls... alot of math... alot of science alot of work on my poor fool head... but it was all worth it... in the end i understood alot of timing spacing and how to properly use video references...

this bouncing ball I did in a slightly layered fashion (i worked on one axis at a time started with Translate Y and den translate Z) felt a bit weird but it helped me learn alot... especially the advantage of muting channels... by muting Translate Y it was easier to see if the ball is moving smoothly or not... similarly by muting Translate Z u can see for any problems in just Translate Y...

also another thing i learnt is the simple roll cheat :D ... the math is confusing and crazy... (some thing to do with radius of the ball and all... but in the end if the ball is 1unit size and it moves 1 unit... then the ball will rotate 57.3 degrees... so if a ball of 1 unit size moves 10 units its rotation will be 573 degrees... if u understand math (which i sadly dont) u can chk this link done by my senior which explains the math and science behind the mysterious number "57.3"... but w8t this is not the cheat... this is the explanation for the cheat...


the cheat is simple: if say the ball is moving in translate Z and u want to make the ball roll then in graph editor select the curve go to edit (in graph editor) >> copy ... set a key in rotate (X in my case) and paste... play the animation and walla it didnt work... ofcourse it wouldnt work... if animation was soo simple every1 would be doing it... and i didnt have to try and explain the 57.3 rule thinigie would I...

anyway that was Part A of the cheat... heres the Part B...

now to get the ball to feel like its rolling on the ground... select the rotateX curve in graph editor and go to edit(in graph editor again)>>> scale (option box)...

in the value scale/pivot fill in 57.3 (or a multiple of 57.3 according to the size of the ball) and click scale... voila if u play the animation the ball rolls perfectly... (but it wouldnt hurt to chk the roll manually frame by frame to see if any small sliding happens but if done right there wouldnt be any...

well the post is getting long and i still havnt put up my work so let me do that...

heres the revision of my last weeks assignment the begger pose :



Then this weeks Sketches (on excitement):



and the Excitement pose itself :






the planning for my bouncing ball:



and finally my bouncing ball:



well thats abt it for now :)

chao

No comments: